When I was a nail tech back in 91’ I used to enjoy using acrylic paints and hand painting my own nail art. I have done all kinds of nail art in the past. But I haven’t done any in about twenty years. So yesterday I went to Sally’s and low and behold the four pack of nail art brushes was on sale! Of course I got them and a new fat orange stick and a pair of nail clippers that were on sale. Then I went to the Dollar Tree and picked up both sets of six colors of acrylic paints. I decided to do leopard print of pink with the bright violet purple of the Wet ‘N Wild Buffy the Violet Slayer. Here is what they came out like when I did them like I would a normal manicure.
They looked great, so I let them set dry for hours. I had to wait until my son was in bed before attempting the nail art part. I think that this leopard effect is awesome but I need brighter colors next time. They came out rather subtle and the black lining is hard to see against the dark violet background. Still part of this blog is to show the progression of my re-entry into the world of polishes and acrylic paint, so that means I will show you mistakes and mishaps just like I will share the best manicures. I will probably only leave this on until Monday, and then I will be attempting a rose manicure. So without further fanfare, here are the leopard nails.
I will definitely be doing this again. I knew it would be a good practice run, but I wish it had come out a bit brighter. I used The Gold And The Beautiful, from the Wet ‘N Wild Fast Dry Collection, which helped mute the bright violet somewhat. I like that effect, but it’s difficult to see it in the photos. I liked the effect of the gold glitter polish overtop of the violet by itself, but this manicure was all about the leopard print. I used to do them in leopard print years ago in the typical leopard tones, and they always looked fabulous. I am not disappointed by the way they came out, but I think I could have gone with a lighter background color and then used a darker tone for the spots with the black liner. I think that would have been better, but again, as this was my first attempt in about twenty years I am very pleased with the results.
The acrylic went on great but took a couple of applications to look very pink. The black went on in one coat and covered perfectly, just like I remembered it working like back in the day. Now that I have done it and bought the right tools, I am delighted to be able to say that now I can start doing things I have only up to now dreamed of doing. Like Spongebob Nails, or Rose Manicures, things like fruit, flowers and critters. I don’t think the Spongebob ones are coming just yet though, I need some time to get working on designs for them and I know that will be a fun entry to compose. If there is something you think I should try I would love to hear from you. As always, thanks for reading.